Friday, May 6, 2011

Video Art - Decontextualization

The Art of Prayer

Decontextualization = removed from its context; no context

<<<VIDEO TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE>>>

The purpose of this video is that as this semester ends I find myself reflecting back on my past four years of college and realizing that I truly had the most stressful time in my life during this last semester. Whether it was dealing with school work, my job, or a personal issue, I had several times where I just wanted to break down and give up. However, every time I looked for advice from my mother she would always say, "you just need to stop what you are doing and say a prayer, ask God for his help." I found myself constantly stopping in the middle of something or right when I felt like I wanted to give up, I would begin to pray and ask for help.  My prayers made sense because of what I was doing and what I was asking for. However, in this video one can see that each individual is praying, but it makes no sense what they are praying for... such as saying a bedtime prayer while making your bed instead of laying in it or saying a dinner prayer while sitting in an art gallery where food is not allowed.
I personally find prayer very important in my life, but certain prayers are only meant for certain times. The art of the words coming from one's mouth and speaking to God is beautiful, but what happens when there is no meaning to it when it doesn't belong?
As I am graduating and entering the "real world" of having to find a job and every thing that comes next, I know I will look to prayer more than I ever have. This is more of a personal and serious piece that is about asking God for help and letting him be the leader of my life. Therefore, I wanted to incorporate Him in my last piece of art as an undergrad, because it is a big part of who I am, an artist.

3 comments:

  1. I am no where near as the religious person in the world, but I think what you did shows who you are. It may sound broad, but it just has your signature to it. I think it was a very good piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This video gave us a glimpse into the inner you. It showed a depth of feeling that made it stir the emotions in the viewer.
    I think you could have not shown this to your mom and instead burned it onto a dvd and packaged it for her as a mothers day gift and she'd have thought it was the best mother's day gift she'd ever gotten. As a mother I can tell you that we get a special feeling when we see our kids demonstrating their maturity and showing that they've stayed true to the values that you've tried to instill in them. In other words, it makes us proud to see that the kids we've nurtured have become adults that we can respect and admire as well as continue to love as our kids. I'm sure your mom is floating on a cloud right about now to see your accomplishments and watch you take the next step. Let your faith continue to sustain you and you'll do well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. It felt very emotional. It was very well done. Seemed like it came directly from the heart. I wish you the best in your life outside of college.

    ReplyDelete